Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Aunt Jean

On Tuesday, September 13, my cousin Reba called to let us know that her mother, my Aunt Jean, had passed away. There would be a funeral in Nederland, Texas, where she had lived, and burial at College Mound, Texas. Sherry and I traveled to Texas to attend the graveside service. Aunt Jean was the last surviving child of my paternal grandparents, my father's last surviving sibling.

Reba's husband, Rev. Mark Mark Baliles, conducted the service. Happy stories from personal experience as a member of Aunt Jean's family. Sympathetic, honest, unvarnished recall of the hardship of the final chapter of her life. Wonderful Bible passages about death and resurrection.

The sadness of saying goodbye was tempered by the joy of being with family members that we have rarely seen.

Sherry and I returned to College Mound on Monday and took some pictures, which I have posted below.




A sweet little country church.




No comments: