Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Grate

Now it can be told.  The real purpose of this project was to provide a home for the grate, a gift from my daughter Terry.  


The grate weighs about 120 pounds.  Yesterday my son Michael helped me position it on the basin, so that I could check the fit and elevation match to the two patios.  Looks like it is going to work.  The patio on the right is about two inches higher than the top of the grate as currently positioned.  But I think I can reset the pavers on this patio to provide a gradual slope down to the level of the grate.  The top of the grate is about even with the patio behind it.

The top of the grate is only 5 inches above the basin wall.  To make the deck level with the grate I will have to make the deck only 5 inches high.  This means using 2x4's for the joists, rather than 2x6's as planned.  But I think this will be OK, because the joists will be very short compared to joists for a typical deck.

Using 2x4's for the joists will have the side effect of making the deck lighter and easier to raise for inspection and maintenance of the basin.

No comments: