Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Brickwork



On Wednesday, November 13, 2019, I finished building new deck panels for the catch basin.  




The next task was to replace the pavers abutting the panels in such a way that I could remove the panels when necessary in order to access the basin.  I also had to ensure that the sand under those pavers will not slough off into the basin when a panel is removed.  The previous deck had a 1 by 6 plank along the north edge of the basin to retain the sand and pavers.  This was not needed on the south side, because the panels were hinged on that side.  But I decided not to use hinges on the new deck.  So I needed some kind of retention wall on both sides.  I would not use a wooden plank like I did for the original deck, because that plank rotted in less than five years.

I needed something very thin, because I didn't have much space between the new deck panels and the pavers.  And I absolutely insisted on something that would not rot.  I decided to use heavy plastic "drive down" edging from Lowe's.




The north side of the basin had vertical strips of steel angle stock firmly attached to the basin.  In the original deck, these held the board that retained the sand and pavers.  I cut sections of the plastic edging to fit between these, and drove the edging into the sand.
























No comments: