Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bicycling











I have been trying to use my bicycle for local trips. Want to show that I can live without an automobile if I have to. This afternoon I made a trip to the grocery store, bringing home my groceries in a cardbord box strapped onto the rear luggage carrier of my bicycle. I realize that a cardboard box is not exactly cool, but it goes along with the Dockers and leather street shoes. A cool bicyclist would be in spandex shorts and wearing real bicycle shoes, properly strapped to the pedals. I'm just not that cool. No use in pretending.

Where I live, I can get most of what I need within a mile or two. I have ridden my bicycle previously to pick up a prescription from a pharmacy, a 1.75 Liter bottle of gin, and a medium pizza (all on separate occasions.) Sherry and I have ridden our bicycles to a restaurant once. I think the other patrons were duly impressed seeing us come in with bicycle helmets under our arms.


My workplace at the University of South Florida is about eight miles from my home, a very reasonable bicycling distance in decent weather. I started riding my bicycle occasionally last semester (Spring 2008). But I didn't have a shower and locker available, and usually felt pretty grungy throughout the day after riding my bicycle to work. I just discovered that I have a gym, including showers and lockers, available at USF for a reasonable cost. I signed up this week for the next year. My plan is to drive to work once per week, and stock the locker with clean clothes. On other days, weather permitting, ride my bicycle to the gym, work out in the gym for a while, then shower and change into clean clothes for the day's work.


Yes, I know it's really just a game. If there were no affordable gasoline, all of those nearby stores would not be full of merchandise. Prices would be out of sight, and I probably wouldn't have a job. But it gives me some comfort to feel like I am fighting back.

2 comments:

Little Terry said...

Yes, you look geekier while bicycling, but when you're walking around in the grocery store, you are *really* geeky in spandex. Trust me. I know.

Shanna said...

Makes me wish I had a bicycle...