Monday, November 18, 2013

The Hole Is Complete

The digging part of the project is finished. The hole is complete to spec: 4' wide by 15' long.  The depth goes from 4' 2.5" closest to the house to 4' 4.5" at the opposite end.


Next comes the really crucial part of the project, building the concrete basin.  I have decided to leave the basin open on the top and cover it with a removable wood deck. Maintenance will be a lot more convenient  with the top open.  

The original plan was to have a concrete top and replace the pavers above it, restoring the patio to its original appearance, and provide an access hole at the end.  The basin will be large enough that I could easily crawl through it in order to work on the pump or do any other maintenance that might be required.  But then I started thinking about what the inside of the basin will be like after it has been used for a while.  Dark and wet, with muck on the bottom and spiders and stuff throughout.  Who knows what else?  Rats, snakes?  Having it completely open at the top is much more appealing.

I have read enough about concrete work to be afraid to try it myself.  The consequences of mistakes are just too devastating.  And when have I ever done anything like this for the first time without mistakes?  So now the problem becomes finding a contractor to do the concrete work.

3 comments:

Ipainter said...

Rollins,
I have not bee reading your posts for a while, so this is a belated post. If you need to cut through roots, a mattock is the tool of choice. it is also great for digging by loosen hard packed dirt - not much of a problem in Florida.
Are you going to build the frame for the concrete yourself or have your concrete contractor do it?
I'm just curious why you did not put a drain pipe out to the street or some low-lying part of your yard.

Rollins said...

lpainter -- Who are you? I don't recognize the screen name.

The basin is complete now. See later posts for details. I did have a contractor do the concrete work. And,yes, I do have a drain pipe out to the street. I will have a pump in the basin to pump water out to the street, where it will flow into a storm sewer. The pipe was installed with the previous system.

Rollins said...

You can send me email at rollins _at_ tampabay dot rr dot com.