Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Saga of the Hole Continues

After a long run of hot and rainy days, the weather is now great for digging.  I have made a lot of progress in the last few days, digging for an hour or two each day.  The digging part of the project is getting close to completion, and I am eager to start work on the concrete.



It is four feet deep and four feet wide at the end closest to the house, and 15 feet long. When finished it will be 4'x4' for the entire length. I still have to make it wider and deeper at the end away from the house.

You can get a better appreciation for the size of the hole from the pile of dirt that I have removed.



The pile got so high that it became difficult to shovel dirt onto it from the bottom of the hole.  I would toss a shovelfull of dirt up onto the pile, and it would land on the near side and slide back into the hole.  It finally occurred to me to build a ramp and use a wheel barrow to remove the dirt.




It's amazing how much you learn when you do something for the first time!

No comments: